Thursday, March 13, 2014

Jamie Wei Huang: a new favorite

Discovering new designers is a weird thing. Sometimes you really have to make an effort to find them. Sometimes you have to look at several of their collections to find elements in them that you like and make you appreciate the person behind it. And sometimes you randomly come across them, look at 3 or 4 pictures and just know you will love everything they do. And this actually happened to me today when I saw an article about Jamie Wei Huang's Fall 2014 collection on The Kinsky, a website which came to my attention after being mentioned repeatedly on tFS in the last couple of days.
What this designer does is so right up my alley, I wanted to squeal with excitement when I clicked through the images on her website. The London-based designer (originally from Taiwan) showed her collection at London Fashion Week this season and you can find HQ pictures of the show here. But I personally prefer the lookbook images:







The most interesting aspect about this collection is certainly how the accessories become part of the designs. Belts and bags are appliquéd to the garments in a way that makes it seem natural that they are there. They are not idiotic design tricks, they look cool and make sense. The clothes are beautifully cut and the geometric aspect is something that never goes unnoticed with me anyway. I am glad this ultra-talented Central Saint Martins graduate is on my radar now and I definitely look forward to seeing more from her. 



No comments:

Post a Comment