Friday, March 7, 2014

Hipstamatic: an obsession

When I first heard about Hipstamatic, I falsely regarded it as just some hip expansion for Instagram, one of only very few social media platforms I never took any interest in. Luckily, people around me started using Hipstamatic and it soon become clear to me how great this App is. You can use it to take wonderful, interesting and shockingly professional-looking pictures and the lens-film-flash combinations you can play around with are almost endless. 

I have always loved photography and have admired fashion photographers as well as all the talented amateur photographers around me, while never quite being confident enough about my own skills to actually take pictures of things and people and places on a more regular basis. In my photography folder on my computer you would find separate folders for every occasion when I took pictures. They are exclusively concerts and vacations. Thanks to Hipstamatic I am now taking pictures of everyone and everything, all the time. I even opened a Flickr account, knowing that I am at least 7 years late with jumping on that bandwagon. 

Below you can see a selection of my HipstaPrints; the first two being tests from my first day of using the App, playing around with more basic settings, the last two being very recent experimentations with some of the downloadable equipment.

(Lens: Jane, Flash: Off, Film: Blanko BL4)

(Lens: Lowy, Flash: Off, Film: Ina's 1969)

(Lens: John S, Flash: Off, Film: Kodot Grizzled)

(Lens: Bettie XL, Flash: Off, Film: Claunch 72 Monochrome)

(Lens: Tinto 1884, Flash: Off, Film: D-Type Plate)


As you may or may not be able to see, the App allows you to dabble in all different kinds of photography styles, and developing your 'own' Hipstamatic signature style may not actually happen. It is too much fun to download all the available HipstaPaks and figuring out what you can do with them. I am definitely obsessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment